St. Monica Parish

St. Monica Parish
Why I Pray! Jesus is present in the Tabernacle. He promised to never leave us and his promise is true.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Prayer and Suffering

Taken from the readings of the Divine Office:

"Prayer is the light of the spirit, true knowledge of God, mediating between God and man. The spirit, raised up to heaven by prayer, clings to God with the utmost tenderness; like a child crying tearfully for its mother, it craves the milk that God provides. It seeks the satisfaction of its own desires, and receives gifts outweighing the whole world of nature...The apostle Paul says: We do not know how we are to pray but the Spirit himself pleads for us with inexpressible longings." St. John Chrysostom

Through prayer I discover who I am and I can know where God desires to lead me. It was through prayer this morning that I realized it's difficult for me to follow Jesus up the hill of Calvary to his cross. I would much prefer to follow Jesus on the floor as he knelt to wash the feet of his apostles. I would rather not be Martha working in the kitchen, but Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to all that he has to say. Lent is an easy time for me when it comes to prayer, but a difficult time for me when it comes to fast and abstinence. Let us all pray for one another!!

No comments:

Post a Comment