St. Monica Parish

St. Monica Parish
Why I Pray! Jesus is present in the Tabernacle. He promised to never leave us and his promise is true.

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Loss

We all experience loss in our lives and it comes in many forms.

The most difficult loss is death. I lost my husband of 50 years on February 13, 2019. It seems like yesterday but it will be two years. I think of him every day and remember the good times that we had. I pray for him every day and hope he is happy and well and praying for those of us who are still living. Death is so very final!!

Another loss is when our children grow and change. I remember the newborn that I brought home for the first time. How each newborn was so different it was as if I had to relearn parenting each time. I could snuggle with the babe even into toddler years. But then each child began to grow independent of me. Which of course is every parent's goal - to teach our children how to care for themselves. But it is a loss nevertheless as they become more involved with interests outside the home. And then they have children of their own who allow me to snuggle and spend time with them. But then those children grow and leave the comfort of home to take on new lives and begin their own families. As a great philosopher once said: "Life is like a river! You can never pass through the same river twice." Change happens, but God always remains the same.

We have our memories! Good or bad! We choose what we hold on to and what we let go of, always remembering that our good and gracious God is the same yesterday and today. He carries us in his loving arms through each new day. And gives us memories of Love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment