St. Monica Parish

St. Monica Parish
Why I Pray! Jesus is present in the Tabernacle. He promised to never leave us and his promise is true.

Monday, February 1, 2021

Bible Study and Year of St. Joseph

 As we begin February 2021, it just seems to be time to begin anew and continue as well with this blog - less Facebook!! It's only been six years!! But as I pray, read, and spend time in contemplative prayer, I discover a relationship with Jesus and with myself that continues to grow and change. Nothing I do or say or think comes from me, but from He who loves each and everyone of us as if we were the only ones to love. His greatest desire is to give us the grace we need to live each day well!!

A group and I began a study from Ascension Press called the Bible Timeline with Jeff Cavins. It has been a "great adventure", as it is appropriately called. When we studied Abraham, I pondered on his choice to have a child with Hagar instead of waiting patiently for God's promise to be fulfilled through him and Sarah. What struck me is how often in my own life, I could not wait for God to fulfill His promises to me. Instead of seeking His will, I went full speed ahead doing my will even though time and again it led me nowhere but into more trouble and heartache. Discovering that life is an education of learning and growing has made me desire all the more to read, watch, and do whatever leads me closer to my Lord Jesus. And to avoid whatever leads me away from Him.

As a result of Abraham's impatience, he became the father of two nations rather than one. The nation that came from Ishmael, Hagar's son, and the nation that came from Isaac, Sarah's son. Two very different nations. How different the world might be if Abraham had been patient. How different my own world might be if I had been patient. It would be well for all of us to contemplate how the sin in our lives has created dark crevices here and there.

Now I follow along, with thousands of others, the daily Bible reading by Fr. Mike Schmitz. Yesterday he talked about the flashlight, the mirror and the sandpaper. "The Bible is like a flashlight that shines some light on our lives. And sometimes it's a mirror that reflects ourselves back to ourselves. And sometimes it's like sandpaper that sands off the rough edges." We need every aspect of the Bible to grow and become all that God's desires for us. 

In the Old Testament when God made His covenant with the Israelites, He urged them to trust Him and to teach their children. How obedient are we? He also said that "obedience is better than sacrifice."

And I belong to a prayer group that will begin reading the Consecration to Saint Joseph. We begin on Valentine's Day and end on the feast of St. Joseph, March 19. Looking forward to the journey.

Peace and great love to all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment